你好!An Introduction…

Posted by on May 7, 2013

Hello All!

S3

Many of you already know, I am Shirley! Some of you may not!
我很高兴认识大家!”I am very excited to meet everyone!”

This summer, I will be embarking on a fascinating journey to Taiwan through the Taiwan United States  Sister Relations Ambassador Program. This program provides me an opportunity to act as an ambassador between the United States and Taiwan to promote positive cultural exchange and understanding between the people of both countries. The program will include 3 hours a day of intensive Chinese language, one on one training, cultural excursions and much more. This program is jam packed with so much at once. It is perfect for me!

Also, I was fortunate to be granted a scholarship through the Taiwan- United States Sister Relations Alliance. Furthermore, I was able to receive an Undergraduate research grant from the University of Mary Washington and was awarded the State Department’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship! I have been very fortunate and I am excited! I was unsure that I would be able to travel abroad in my undergraduate education but I am very grateful to have been provided with the opportunity.

These last months of the Spring 2013 semester have been a wild ride! I’ve been working to get everything together.  I’ve even gotten to know some of the other ambassadors. We are all excited and are getting to know one another very well. It’s great to get ton know people from other states around the country. Throughout the semester, I’ve been continuing to shape my post undergraduate plans and the TUSA Ambassador program will help with those plans significantly.

So, for those of you viewing this blog, I appreciate that you are interested in following my journey! The intent of this blog is to regularly document my journey…the highs, the lows, and the goofy and embarassing things that I am sure that will happen abroad just as they do in the United States! Ha! …and PICTURES, PICTURES, and PICTURES!!!! Most importantly, I am going to share what I am learning about the culture of Taiwan and share how I am expanding my language. I am going to challenge myself to speak English VERY minimally. I am very serious about learning this language…so I will definitely not let nervousness of new surroundings hold me back. Opportunities like these do not come often! 🙂 I intend to remember that the entire two months.

Literally, I am going to be like a little kid so I am sure that there will never be a dull moment for you readers!

Thank you for following me and I am proud to represent the University of Mary Washington and the state of Virginia! 🙂 谢谢,谢谢!”Thank you very much!”